You will go through MCQ Questions And Answers Of ICSE Board Class 9 and 10 THE COLD WITHIN. Understanding a text’s entirety is very important for a learner to score better on the exam. We made Efforts to ensure thorough and proper MCQ Questions And Answers Of ICSEBoard Class 9 and 10 THE COLD WITHIN.
1. What did each man have to fight the cold?
- A stick of wood
- A pair of socks
- A candle
- A blanket
2. Why did the first man did not hand over the piece of wood?
- He wanted to keep the piece for himself
- He lost the piece of wood
- He was a racist, and saw that there was a black man in the group
- He wanted to burn the wood and enjoy warmth alone
3. Why did the second man did not hand over the wood stick?
- He did not want to warm the idle rich
- He did not want to warm the lazy, and ambitionless poor
- He saw that one person from the group did not go to his church
- He was selfish
4. “In bleak and bitter cold.”- Why did the poet use the phrase ‘bitter cold’?
- To make the reader understand about the cold climate
- To elicit a feeling of dread in the reader’s mind
- To elicit a feeling of helplessness
- To elicit a feeling of unhappiness and agony
5. How many people were trapped in the cold?
6. Who is the poet?
- Roald Dahl
- Jack London
- Kate Chopin
- James Patrick Kinney
7. Why did the black man not light his stick?
- He wanted to get back at the white man
- He had hatred for rich people and did not want to warm the rich man
- He was selfish
- He did light his wood stick
8. How did the humans die?
- They killed each other
- They died from an animal attack
- They died from the cold within
- They died of an accident
9. What is the overall rhyming scheme of the poem?
10. How many quatrains does the poem have?
11. “Saw one not of his church”- Identify the figure of speech.
12. Which of these is common amongst the humans?
- Love for each other
13. “In bleak and bitter cold”- Identify the figure of speech
14. “Giving only to those who gave
Was how he played the game.”- What does the poet mean by ‘game’ in this context?
- Human life
- A game to play with friends
- The game of fate
15. “Giving only to those who gave
Was how he played the game.”- Identify the poetic device.
16. “Their logs held in death’s still hands”- Identify the poetic device.
- Transferred epithet
17. “They didn’t die from the cold without
They died from the cold within.”- Identify the poetic device.
18. What is the central theme of the poem?
- Love towards fellow humans
- Love for animals
19. What is the meaning of ‘tattered’ in the poem?
- New and fresh
- Old and torn
20. How could the humans have survived the cold?
- By giving the sticks of wood that each of them had and burn them to get warmth
- By using the blankets
- By cooking something on the wood
- By trying to locate a way out
- A) A stick of wood.
- C) He was a racist, and saw that there was a black man in the group.
- C) He saw that one person from the group did not go to his church.
- B) To elicit a feeling of dread in the reader’s mind.
- D) Six.
- D) James Patrick Kinney.
- A) He wanted to get back at the white man.
- C) They died from the cold within.
- D) ABCB…
- A) Eight.
- B) Metonymy.
- B) Discriminatory.
- C) Alliteration.
- B) Human life.
- A) Metaphor.
- B) Personification.
- B) Antithesis.
- C) Discrimination.
- D) Old and torn.
- A) By giving the sticks of wood that each of them had and burn them to get warmth.