You will go through MCQ QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS OF SALVATORE || ISC CLASS 11 AND 12 ENGLISH LITERATURE written by Somerset Maugham. Understanding the text in entirety is very important for a learner to score better on the exam. We made Efforts to ensure thorough and proper MCQ QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS OF SALVATORE || ISC Class 11 AND 12 ENGLISH LITERATURE written by Somerset Maugham.
1. Who is the writer of the story?
A) Robert Southey
B) W Somerset Maugham
C) Ruskin Bond
D) O. Henry
2. When was the story first published?
3. How old was Salvatore?
4. How has the author described Salvatore?
A) Mean and selfish
B) Gloomy and mean
C) Pleasant and carefree
D) Happy but confused
[blur]5. What would Salvatore do every morning?
A) Fishing in the river
B) Spend time lying on the beach
C) Going to the market to buy groceries
D) Doing household chores
6. What did Salvatore’s father do?
7. Why did Salvatore leave the island?
A) To become a sailor in the navy of King Victor Emmanuel
B) To become a doctor in the city
C) To marry the girl, he fell in love with
D) To become an architect
8. “He used to spend the morning lying about the beach with next to nothing on and his brown body was as thin as a rail.”- Identify the figure of speech.
9. Which of the following suits the story?
10. What is the meaning of the term “jagged” in the story?
B) With rough, sharp points protruding
C) Hitting with a knife
11. What was Salvatore’s reaction when he had to leave his home?
A) He was sad and cried like a child
B) He was sad, but managed to put up a smile on his face
C) He was extremely happy and relieved
D) He was both happy that he was joining the navy, but also was heartbroken because he was leaving his island
12. What did Salvatore write in the letter to the girl?
A) He never wrote letters to the girl
B) He wrote that he could not marry her, and was in love with someone else in the city
C) He wrote that he could not come back to the village ever
D) He wrote how much he thought of her and longed to be back
13. What happened to Salvatore when he was in China?
A) He got married and had a son
B) He was ill of some mysterious ailment
C) He got a good job and settled there permanently
D) He adopted a little boy
14. “He bore it with the mute and uncomprehending patience of a dog.”- Who is ‘he’ in the context?
B) Salvatore’s lover
C) Salvatore’s younger brother
D) Salvatore’s father
15. What ailment did Salvatore have?
16. Why was Salvatore not unhappy when he heard about the disease?
A) He had given up on life
B) He did not like being in the navy anymore
C) He could go back to his island and to the girl he loved
D) Salvatore did not like working
17. Who did Salvatore not find when he arrived at his island?
A) The girl
B) His mother
C) His younger brothers
D) His best friend
18. Why did the girl not want to marry Salvatore?
A) He wasn’t strong enough to work
B) He wasn’t rich
C) He was not good looking
D) The girl was not in love with him anymore
19. “She’s as ugly as the devil”- Who is ‘she’ in this line?
A) The girl who Salvatore love
C) Salvatore’s mother
20. Which of the following figures of speech has the author used significantly in the story?